Nitrous Oxide is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, relaxing gas which you can breathe. It is safe and allows you to remain completely conscious, while decreasing anxiety. It has a calming effect that helps anxious patients relax during their dental treatment or cleaning appointment.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide:
- Nitrous Oxide is safe with no side effects on your heart, ect.
- Its relaxing effect develops in as little as 2-3 minutes.
- Nitrous Oxide is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- Deeper forms of SEDATION are also available using other medications.
- Nitrous Oxide has no “hangover effect”.
Reasons to not use Nitrous Oxide
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Detached Retina
- Ear Infections
- Obstructed Bowel
Nitrous Oxide is not effective if your nasal passages are plugged due to a cold or allergies.